The following resources are designed to assist sufferers of ME CFS (and FM) on a number of fronts:
1. to identify legal issues that form part of the ME CFS experience;
2. to assist in the preparation of matters involving issues such as Social Security Issues, Insurance Claims (eg Income Protection, Total and Permanent Disability, Superannuation and Workers Compensation), Discrimination, Family Law Issues and any subsequent disputes;
3. to assist with accessing assistance in the form of the appropriate dispute resolution body, an advocate or Solicitor;
4. to provide access to resources (legal and otherwise) to assist in claims;
5. to assist in the identification of rights;
6. to point people to representative bodies and Associations that can assist people with ME CFS and their families to deal with problems arising from the condition.
The condition can necessitate the need to fight for one's legal rights. Research into the ME CFS experience demonstrates that persons with the condition are subject to stigma within society and encounters with social institutions (eg Medical fraternity, Centrelink, Insurance Companies, the Legal System and the like).The impact upon the individual can vary.The burden upon one's emotional well being is heavy. This resource cannot remove this impact. It may, however, assist some to avoid the path traveled by many before us - where disputes, disbelief and denial has occurred. It may help avoid litigation or assist those who have no choice but to act. Whatever the outcome, I trust that it enhances the understanding of an aspect of the condition that is poorly dealt with throughout the world, and promote a more co-operative environment for sufferers via education and informed decisions.